I’m stealing this from my friend Pam Sheble who must subscribe to a humor website because she’s always coming up with interesting-and mostly funny-emails.
These bits of trivia all fall in the “who knew?” category and maybe the “who cares?” category. I certainly didn’t know most of them, but they’re kind of fun.
1. Money isn’t made out of paper, it’s made out of cotton. (Which is why it washes nicely if left in your pocket and wrinkles badly if it goes through the dryer.)
2. The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper. (Ha! I won’t say any more about that one, Mr. Jefferson.)
3. Soap actress Susan Lucci is the daughter of Phyllis Diller. (Really?)
4. Actress Shirley MacLaine and Actor Warren Beatty are sister and brother. (I knew that).
5. Some entries in Webster’s 1996 dictionary were misspelled. (Bad)
6. Oscars given out during WWII were made of wood because metal was scarce. (Okay)
7. There are no clocks in Las Vegas gambling casinos. (I’ll have to personally check that one out.)
8. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep your eyes from watering. (Hmm…lots of old wives’ tales about peeling onions and most of them don’t work, but hey, I’ll try anything.)
9. This one was hard to believe, although some kids would readily agree they got the wrong parents: On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily. (Hopefully, they got it straightened out before they left the hospital.)
10. And this is my personal favorite: Celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with. It’s the same with apples.
Now that you have your dose of trivia for the day, you may carry on with your life, probably knowing one thing today that you didn’t know yesterday.